In 1995 Leadership Alabama introduced the Alabama Leadership Initiative, a program for emerging leaders, to complement the existing leadership network and programs of Leadership Alabama. This two-day program brought together emerging leaders from across the state to participate in a microcosm of the Leadership Alabama program year. ALI has been a very successful program with over 60 emerging leaders participating every year.
In order to offer young professionals the opportunity to develop personal leadership skills and establish an ongoing relationships with other young leaders across the state, the Alabama Leadership Initiative will be expanded in 2017 to a six month program comprised of three two-day retreats. The Initiative will expose young leaders to the decision makers in Alabama who are sensitive to the challenges we face as a state. The Alabama Leadership Initiative provides the individual participant with the unique opportunity to step inside the circle of decision makers and problem solvers who mold the future of our state.
The Alabama Leadership Initiative is statewide and focuses on three areas:
- Education: class members have the opportunity to connect with statewide experts in order to increase their knowledge of the issues impacting Alabama.
- Connections: The Initiative provides a unique opportunity to bond with like-minded leaders from throughout the state.
- Personal Development: programming includes leadership training in various areas including public speaking, boardsmanship, and political involvement.
After completing the Alabama Leadership Initiative, graduates of the program will be invited to join The Initiative. Activities for The Initiative will be coordinated through Leadership Alabama.
Qualified applicants for ALI will have shown leadership and commitment in a professional capacity and within their own communities. The ALI Class will be limited to 35-40 participants and selection to participate in the program will be dependent on the applications submitted and reference interviews.
Tuition for the program is $1750, and there will be substantial scholarship assistance for those with financial need. An application for assistance is available through the Leadership Alabama office.
The 2017-2018 program year is scheduled as follows:
|November 2-3, 2017||Montgomery|
|April 19-20, 2018||Birmingham|
|June 22-24, 2018||Renaissance Weekend|
The entire opening retreat is mandatory. Participants are required to attend at least 80% of the remaining program sessions.
- Nominations for ALI are due April 5, 2017.
- Nominees will receive ALI Application by April 7, 2017.
- Applications are to be submitted by April 28, 2017 to ALI@leadershipal.org.
- Applicants will be notified of acceptance for the program by the end of May.