Please note these specific policies as you consider nominees for Leadership Alabama.
- Demonstrate a commitment to community through past and present activities
- Demonstrate leadership ability in his/her chosen field through significant achievement
- Possess the potential for exercising substantial leadership in the future
- Exhibit a personal commitment to help shape the future of Alabama
There is no specific minimum or maximum age limit for participation. However, nominations of those under the age of 40 will require additional evaluation by the Executive Committee and will be approved only if they are recognized as established leaders.
It is required that a member of senior management (CEO, Chairman or President) within an organization or company participates before others in the same company will be asked to participate. There can be no more than one representative of an organization in the class in a given year.
While Leadership Alabama welcomes participation by elected officials, we discourage nomination of a person actively involved in a political campaign. No campaign activities will be allowed during a program retreat.
To graduate from Leadership Alabama, a participant is expected to attend all sessions. Even though emergencies do arise, any participant missing more than one session, for whatever reason, may be asked to withdraw. The Orientation Retreat in October is mandatory.
The tuition for the program year is $3,250 which includes all programs, speakers, materials and meals. Each member is responsible for travel and hotel expenses. Leadership Alabama is able to provide some financial assistance for tuition based upon need.
(click above to submit online form)
Leadership Alabama is open to all interested residents of Alabama who meet the qualifications adopted by the Board of Directors regardless of age, sex, race, religion or national origin. Participants are selected largely on the basis of demonstrated leadership ability.
- A nomination form must be received by February 2, 2018 for a person to be considered for the upcoming class.
- Nominations will be considered by the Regional Councils, who will prioritize the nominations of those in their geographic areas.
- The Executive Committee will review the prioritized lists from the Regional Councils, then submit the list of nominees to the Board of Directors for approval.
- All nominations are given thorough consideration, but not all will be selected to participate in the class. The Leadership Alabama Board of Directors will approve the final class roster. Consideration will be given to building a class that represents Alabama’s diversity- professionally and geographically, as well as in the areas of age, gender and ethnicity.
- Leadership Alabama will contact those selected for membership.