Dear Leadership Alabama members,
Throughout the past several months, as all of us have adjusted to very challenging circumstances, we have remained focused on Leadership Alabama’s overall objectives and mission, including the planning for upcoming events and retreats, finalizing retreat programming and speakers, orchestrating the selection process for LA Class XXXI, conducting board elections and carefully managing the financials. As such, we respectfully offer the following update.
“An Important Message”
Leadership Alabama’s Financial Outlook
With profound gratitude to all of you for your continued and valued investment in Leadership Alabama, we are “faring the storm” relative to our budget/income/expenses. We met fundraising & membership dues/contributions goals for the 2019/2020 fiscal year, eliminated $26,000 of expenses moving forward when finalizing the 2020 – 2021 budget (after greatly streamlining the budget last year), obtained a PPP loan, and are actively creating our fundraising plans and membership dues solicitation campaign for the upcoming fiscal year (beginning July 1). Additionally, we offer a huge round of applause and appreciation to Mr. Rich Bielen, president & CEO of Protective Life Corporation, for generously providing Leadership Alabama with donated office space. It has been such an incredible gift and has alleviated financial concerns regarding rent, especially during the pandemic when everyone has been working from home.
Rescheduled Graduation for Current LA & ALI Classes
- The current LA Class XXX’s May 2020 graduation retreat was rescheduled for late October in Birmingham.
- The current ALI Class III’s April 2020 graduation session was rescheduled for September in the Black Belt.
Status of Selection of Leadership Alabama Class XXXI (2020 – 2021)
As you may remember, we purposely delayed the selection process due to the urgent circumstances surrounding COVID-19. As of this week, we started extending invitations to the candidates selected for Class XXXI, and the final class will be announced no later than Monday, August 10. The opening retreat is in October in Montgomery; however, in the event we are NOT able to convene as a group due to ongoing COVID restrictions, the program year will begin in January and extend through June.
Due to ongoing COVID guidelines and concerns (furloughs, layoffs, unknowns about school calendars, the availability of young professionals, etc.), ALI Class IV has been postponed until the 2021 – 2022 program year. When nominations open next year, the maximum age (for that year only) will be 41, not 40.
July 1 – June 30.
With great pleasure, we announce the election of the following members —
- Linda Young/Treasurer
Wallace Community College, Dothan
(Chair 2022 – 2023)
- Michael Patterson/Secretary
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama, Birmingham
(Chair 2023 – 2024)
- Chip Bivins The University of Alabama System, Birmingham
- Trey Clegg Brasfield & Gorrie, Birmingham
- Melissa Craig Bank Independent, Decatur
- Helene Hassell Dauphin Island Sea Lab Foundation, Mobile
- Grits Morris Walker360, Montgomery
- Sheron Rose Montgomery Chamber of Commerce, Montgomery
- Kennon Walthall Avenu Insights & Analytics, Birmingham
- Danny Windham HudsonAlpha Institute/Biotechnology, Huntsville
- Doug Bachuss Nowlin, Bachuss & Gray, Decatur
- Michael Kirkpatrick DESE Research, Huntsville
- Vanessa Leonard Attorney, Rockford
- Eva Robertson Protective Life Foundation, Birmingham
- David Silverstein Five Stone Group, Birmingham
Two of our highly valued board members, Preston Bolt/Mobile and Mike Warren/Birmingham, elected emeritus status as of October.
Rolling Off LA Board
After serving two consecutive terms, it is difficult to say farewell to the incredible board members rolling off in October – Jeffrey Bayer/Birmingham, Kelly Bownes/Birmingham, Sara Graves/Huntsville and Bill Wallace/Montgomery.
“30th and Holding…” – Rescheduled Anniversary Event
Simply as a reminder, our fabulous 30th anniversary celebration originally scheduled for this month has been rescheduled for next summer on Friday, August 13, through Sunday, August 15, 2021 at the Grand Hotel in Point Clear, AL. More information will be sent in the next few months, and we hope you will plan to join the festivities!
Wishing you a healthy, safe and fun 4th of July!
With heartfelt thanks,
Kate Cotton Ashley Whatley