Community Foundation of Greater Birmingham
Woven Together Series
- Dr. Ed Bridges, Former Director of the Alabama Department of Archives and History. “How our State is Divided by a Shared History.”
- Latosha Brown, Co-Founder of the Black Voters Matter Fund. “The History and Future of Voting in Alabama.”
- David Dodson, former President of MDC. “The Fierce Urgency of Now.”
- Dr. Michael McAfee, President and CEO of PolicyLink. “Building an Equitable Society.”
- Dr. Tricia Rose. Professor of Africana Studies and Director of the Center for Study of Race and Ethnicity in America at Brown University. Dr. Rose looked at two central questions facing our society: “How does racial inequality ‘work’ as a system?” and “What keeps the workings of systemic racism hidden?”
- Goodreads. Racial Equity Books
- Bustle. 17 Books On Race Every White Person Needs To Read
- Self.com 25 Books for People Who Want to Learn More About Race in America
- A Peculiar Indifference: The Neglected Toll of Violence on Black America by Elliott Currie
- Caste, The Origins of Our Discontents by Isabel Wilkerson
- My Best Friends Are Black by Tanner Colby
- The Color of Law, A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America by Richard Rothstein
- The Deepest South of All, True Stories from Natchez, MS by Richard Grant
- The Warmth of Other Suns, The Epic Story of America’s Great Migration by Isabel Wilkerson
- Understanding Jim Crow by Dr. David Pilgrim
- White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo
- Harvard Business Review. How to Promote Racial Equity in the Workplace
- Harvard Business Review. Moving Beyond Diversity Toward Racial Equity
- “The Return of Jane Elliott.” By Brianna Holt. New York Times. July 15, 2020.
Before anti-racist reading lists and Instagram allyship, white people were presented with the “Blue Eyes, Brown Eyes” exercise. Its 86-year-old creator can’t believe she’s still being asked about it.
- “Everyone’s an Antiracist. Now What?” By Erin Aubrey Kaplan. New York Times. July 6, 2020.
Recognizing that Black people deserve dignity isn’t progress.
- Scary Mommy. Thanks For Coming To Their Talk—12 TED Talks And Podcasts About Race and Racism
- Bustle. 11 Podcasts About Race You Should Be Listening To
- The Oprah Magazine. 12 Great Podcasts That Discuss Race and Racism in America
- IMdb. The 25 Best Movies About Racism of All Time
- Esquire. These Essential Movies From Black Filmmakers Confront Systemic Racism In America
- Equal Justice Initiative. True Justice: Bryan Stevenson’s Fight for Equality
- MSNBC. 13 Documentaries About Race You Need to See If You Haven’t Yet
- Living Cities. #GoodReads: Documentaries We’re Watching on Racial Equity
- Race. https://www.ted.com/topics/race
- Inequity. https://www.ted.com/topics/inequality
- Equity. https://www.ted.com/search?q=equity
- Diversity and Inclusion. https://www.ted.com/search?q=diversity+and+inclusion
- Equal Justice Initiative. The Legacy of Racial Justice.
- Equal Justice Initiative. The Truth about Confederate-Named Schools.
- Bing. Best Videos on Race and Equity.